400+ Photoreal Materials – VRscans Library is Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ihno View Post
    Searching for Vr Scans leads to gazillion pages about virtual reality.
    Yep, you can see where that name was quite a bit unfortunate... We didn't know VR was going to be such a hit

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hi,
      You need to have at least VRscans Plugin Evaluation licenses to download some materials. VRscans Plugin Commercial license will grant you access to the entire library of 430 materials. Please contact us via the VRscans product page contact form and we will happy to provide an evaluation license or a commercial one.
      Dinko Dimitrov
      VP VRscans
      Chaos Software

Comment

Originally posted by Ihno View Post
        Would love to see them in movement (moving camera at least). Are you planning to make a little trailer or something?
        I cant find anything on the internet, maby due to the naming... Seching for Vr Scans leads to gazillion pages about virtual reality.
        Hi,

You can check the showcase section of the VRscans Product Page
        Dinko Dimitrov
        VP VRscans
        Chaos Software

Comment

Ah yes, thanks alot! They look awesome . Still want so see some cool scenes with Vr scans materials only though.
          But I think time will show.
          German guy, sorry for my English.

Comment

Could anyone give a brief explanation on how these differ from a regular high quality texture, and why do I need a special plugin to use them?

Comment

Many real-world materials cannot be represented accurately with textures, no matter how high quality they are. Examples include:

Wood (notice how patches of the wood change color and reflectivity based on the light angle):
              https://vimeo.com/187894175/b7de764e26

Holograms:
              https://vimeo.com/187890489/508e9014b8

Car paints:
              https://vimeo.com/187888891/d13697d84d

Further on, mathematical BRDF models like GGX only approximate real-world materials like fabrics, leather etc, but the actual materials often have quite different and unique responses to light that no amount of high-quality textures can represent.

The VRayScannedMtl plugin is needed to read and render the scanned material data. That data describes a BTF (bidirectional texture function) and is not in the form of regular textures.

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

Vlado, do you guys plan to release a library without subscription sale model? Maybe more expensive but you buy it once and you can use it more +1year?

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                  The VRayScannedMtl plugin is needed to read and render the scanned material data. That data describes a BTF (bidirectional texture function) and is not in the form of regular textures.

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  Thanks, getting a bit clearer. So when you say plugin it manifests as a new material 'VrayScannedMtl' where you load in one of these currently 400 "material definitions"?

Is there a video of the actual workflow somewhere? There is a pic on the VRscans site with an airplane interior (I think) but it is too small to see actual interface. I assume the megascans people have their own plugin technology?

Comment

Originally posted by Nicinus View Post
                    Thanks, getting a bit clearer. So when you say plugin it manifests as a new material 'VrayScannedMtl' where you load in one of these currently 400 "material definitions"?
                    Yes.

Is there a video of the actual workflow somewhere?
                    I don't think we do, but we can certainly record one - will make a note about it.

I assume the megascans people have their own plugin technology?
                    No. They just provide a bunch of regular textures that can be plugged into the regular VRayMtl material or the alSurface material, for example.

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

Has any info been released on the process and the costs of getting bespoke materials scanned, or am I best off e-mailing the Sales dept for that?

Cheers,

John
                      Website
                      Behance
                      Instagram

Comment

There is some information here:
                        https://www.chaosgroup.com/vrscans#pricing

But I would still recommend to write to sales@chaosgroup.com to see if they can offer anything else.

Best regards,
                        Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                          There is some information here:
                          https://www.chaosgroup.com/vrscans#pricing

But I would still recommend to write to sales@chaosgroup.com to see if they can offer anything else.

Best regards,
                          Vlado
                          Thanks Vlado. Somehow I'd missed that page when I was looking around the site.

Cheers,

John
                          Website
                          Behance
                          Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Nicinus View Post
                            Is there a video of the actual workflow somewhere?
                            I found this one on youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwzz6b8rvZc

Comment

Interesting, I can almost imagine the day when it is considered a gigantic waste of time to create your own materials.

Is this a suitable technology for base materials such as metals, glass and surfaces in general?

Comment

So after subscription ends you wont be able yo use vrscan materials ?
                                Luke Szeflinski
                                :: www.lukx.com cgi

Comment

Working...
                                X